Ravelry bans support of Trump resulting in members closing accounts
Today, Ravelry, a worldwide fiber art website posted the following text banning support of Donald Trump and his administration. In doing so, members have posted on various fiber art related facebook groups that they have removed their accounts. Ravelry is an online business owned by Casey and Jessica Forbes.
New Policy: Do Not Post In Support of Trump or his Administration
Sunday, June 23rd 2019
We are banning support of Donald Trump and his administration on Ravelry.
This includes support in the form of forum posts, projects, patterns, profiles, and all other content. Note that your project data will never be deleted. We will never delete your Ravelry project data for any reason and if a project needs to be removed from the site, we will make sure that you have access to your data. If you are permanently banned from Ravelry, you will still be able to access any patterns that you purchased. Also, we will make sure that you receive a copy of your data.
We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy. Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.
- You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here.
- We are not endorsing the Democrats nor banning Republicans.
- We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.
- We are not banning people for past support.
- Do not try to weaponize this policy by entrapping people who do support the Trump administration into voicing their support.
- Similarly, antagonizing conservative members for their unstated positions is not acceptable.
You can help by flagging any of the following items if they constitute support for Trump or his administration:
- Projects: Unacceptable projects will be provided to the member or made invisible to others.
- Patterns: Unacceptable patterns will be returned to drafts.
- Forum posts: right now, only posts written after Sunday, June 23rd at 8 AM Eastern
- Profiles: Please do not flag profiles yet if the only banned content is an avatar or avatars. There is not yet a flagging system for those.
- Sunday, June 23rd @ 8:00 AM Eastern: First version
- Sunday, June 23rd @ 8:12 AM Eastern: Clarify that if you are permanently banned from Ravelry you will receive a copy of your data including any purchased patterns.
One must beg the question, is it smart to bring politics into business? Everyone should have their own political stance, but bringing that into business will undoubtedly cause strife. According to Wikipedia, “Ravelry itself generates income to maintain the site through three main mechanisms. First, advertisements for a range of fiber arts-related products from both large- and small-scale businesses are displayed throughout the site. Second, the pattern store enables designers to sell PDF versions of their patterns; a small portion of the sales from the pattern stores goes to Ravelry, while 98.7% goes to the designers. Third, the Ravelry Mini-Mart sells branded merchandise such as logo T-shirts, bags, and stickers.“
Since the owners of Ravelry do earn income as outlined above, it would seem prudent for them to keep their personal political beliefs to themselves and out of the business.
At this writing, new registrations to the Ravelry website are temporarily closed.
UPDATE: June 24, 2019 – It appears that Ravelry has removed their facebook page.
All Rights Reserved.
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/TheCrochetAuLait
Facebook Community: http://www.facebook.com/groups/CrochetAuLait